Thursday, June 28, 2012

On Repotting

Let me first say that being a great gardener and having a green thumb is not a hereditary condition. Botanical knowledge is not inherited from one generation to the next.

My mother, grandmother, great-grandmother (and great-grandfather) -- they've all got it (or had it). Me? Not so much. What seems to be common sense to my mother is definitely NOT common sense to me when it comes to all things grown in soil.

That said, I do understand that a plant needs to be repotted every couple of years, even if it's not root-bound -- because the soil gets depleted of its nutrients over time. Those plant roots need more nourishment and are just achin' to soak it all up in a new environment.



And so it goes with me.

I'm a perpetual house/apartment renter. I need new environments and sights. I like to constantly redecorate. I've realized over the years that I like to take myself out of my comfort zone, stretch my roots, and create new homes for those roots.

Zeb is applying for jobs that could essentially take us all over the world after he graduates in December, and I'm really excited about the possibilities.

I mean, we could end up in tumbleweed alley in the middle of nowhere Texas, but then maybe we could find a cool hacienda-style home with a garden in the middle of it.



Or if we ended up in D.C., maybe we could find a little colonial, cottage-style home in nearby Virginia.



Or if we land in Oregon, we could live in a hippie commune.



The possibilities are ENDLESS! (Just kidding about the hippie commune. Zeb wouldn't go for that.)

I can't wait to see new things. To meet new people. To teach Finn about the surrounding regional culture. It's gonna be fun!

As a single chick, I would've been excited but more than a little nervous and unsure. But as a wife and mother, I'm just excited about whatever comes our way as a little family.

Ready for some different soil.

*All this said, I don't know what I'll do without our families around... 

2 comments:

  1. Move to Texas! Move to Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just might! Though I'm not sure we'd be anywhere close to Austin.

    ReplyDelete