Monday, January 16, 2012

The Real Beginning

As most of you know, little Finn finally arrived on January 6th! The delivery itself was a little more dramatic than I would have liked, but we got him here, safe and sound. He weighed 8 pounds and 6 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. He has really long fingers and feet and dark red hair. And, since you asked, his ears are normal, but we think they're beginning to... unfurl a bit. (What Barnes/Duffey kid would be complete without big ears, anyway?)

I've heard a million new moms say that they've "fallen in love" with their newborn, but it's a much more profound feeling than falling in love to me. It's far beyond what I equate with love. It's a completeness and feeling of utter responsibility that is both wonderful and intimidating.

It's interesting to explore and get to know a person that you and someone else made. To recognize expressions and gestures. To witness personality taking shape. To learn the unique quirks and patterns in his behavior.

I am beyond thankful for this little guy. For years, I've wanted exactly what I have now, and I'm so incredibly grateful for all of it. I'm glad I had to wait for this life to start because, now that it has, I'm able to recognize the good stuff. Like cuddling in bed in the mornings with my warm husband and a snoring baby.

3 comments:

  1. He is beautiful, Lauren. Just a beautiful, wonderful little baby, and I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to see him in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also equally fulfilling to me to see a daughter, whom I love deeply, happy and complete as a good wife and loving mother. Your daddy and I are very grateful that God has so richly blessed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful words from a totally enamored Mamma Bear!! The best part of being a Mom is learning the many ways you never knew you could love someone and finding that there is something new to love about them every day. Finn's future is looking very bright having you and Zeb as parents. We love you all so much and can't wait to meet Finn.

    ReplyDelete