Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Realizations of a New Mother

Realizations of a New Mother: Episode One
  • I don't know how to fold baby clothes. They're too tiny. I also don't know how to organize them: Should I group them by the article of clothing -- Onesies, pants, sleepers, etc.? Or should I organize them by size -- Newborn, 3 months, 6 months, etc.?
  • Breastfeeding hurts, no matter how many people tell you it shouldn't. When showering, it is essential to not face the stream of water directly. (Or cover your sensitive bits.)
  • I've already forgotten how bad labor and delivery sucked. Well, almost.
  • Holy paranoia! The first night we brought Finn home and tried to sleep, I was convinced that every little sound he made was a sign of distress. I don't think I slept one full hour that night. Since then, I've come to realize, Finn just likes to grunt and moan. Kinda like me in the last trimester.
  • I think Finn has been held approximately 90% of his life so far. I know I'll need to change that at some point so he doesn't become totally spoiled and reliant on other people to soothe him, but right now, I can't help it. He's just so stinkin' cuddly.
Today's my first day at home alone with the kiddo. On the agenda: PHOTO SHOOT! (And write thank-you notes... )

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your honesty as a new mother :) I am hoping to start a family in the next year and there are so many things I wonder about/things no one ever tells you about. I know it will be an exciting and rewarding (and painful) experience. -Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those sore nipples!!! Look for a nipple shield the next time you are at Target. It saved me with Jordyn for the first month. Don't worry about nipple confusion, Jordyn nursed til she was 2 so obviously she wasn't confused. Your raw nipples will thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete