Wednesday, October 10, 2012

W.I.C.

I'm not ashamed to say that we get W.I.C. vouchers every month for Finn's formula and baby food. Today we had to go to a class which I thought would be about nutrition for babies and children. But it turned out to be about 30 minutes of guided conversations about how to enjoy your children.

I don't have trouble enjoying my child, and it was clear that the other parents in the room don't have trouble enjoying their children either. Teenage moms, a single (and very young) father, and I all sat around a table and discussed what we do with our children that's fun.

It was that simple. I can't say it's convenient to hold a squirming nine month old that long, but I walked away with the belief that, as hectic and chaotic and stressful as parenting can be, most of us enjoy it and would never take it back.

It was a reassuring assessment of humanity, I tell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment